Tuesday 21 April 2015

Relative Clauses


We use relative clauses to join two sentences, or to give more information about something.
Types of relative clauses:
The relative clauses can be roughly classified into two.

1.      Defining relative clause:
A defining relative clause tells which noun we are talking about:
·         I like the boy who paints.
(If I don't say ‘who paints '; then it is not clear know which boy I mean).

2.      Non-defining relative clause:
A non-defining relative clause gives us extra information about something. We don't need this information to understand the sentence.
·         I live in Bangalore, which has some amazing art galleries.
(Here the clause 'which has amazing art galleries' gives extra information about Bangalore, the place I am talking about).

Relative Pronouns:

who - subject or object pronoun for people

·         They hanged the lady who killed her husband.

which - subject or object pronoun

·         I read the book which is inside the drawer.
·         I visited the village which you told me about.


whom - used for object pronoun for people, especially in non-restrictive relative clauses (in restrictive relative clauses use who)

·         The boy whom you told me about won the race.

that - subject or object pronoun for people, animals and things in restrictive relative clauses (who or which are also possible)

·         I like the painting that is covered with glitter.

Relative adverbs

where - referring to a place

·         The cafe where I usually have lunch is cozy.

when - referring to a time

·         There are times when I feel so empty.

why - referring to a reason

·         This is why I refused to accompany her.


 This post is a part of the APRIL A-Z Challenge 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart comments. Do scribble a few words.
Thank you.