Wednesday 15 April 2015

May/ Might

Confused as to how to use may/ might in a situation?

Image Source


Both May/Might are modal auxiliary verbs ( a verb that is used with a main verb to form a verb phrase) that refer to possible situations. Let us look at them individually.

May:

May has two meanings.
It indicates:
1.       Permission.
Example: Thank you, you may leave us now.
Example: May I go now?
2.       Possibility:
Example: It may come in handy.

Here the writer/ speaker can clearly imagine it taking place. It is a possible situation now and in the future.

Might is used to indicate a possibility. But here the writer is treating it as purely hypothetical, it could happen but then could a lot of other things. It implies a smaller possibility than the sentence using ‘may’ suggests.

Eg: It might snow today.

To refer to a situation which happened in the past, we use might have.

Example: I might have dropped it in the classroom.

 This post is a part of the APRIL A-Z Challenge  




2 comments:

  1. Interesting! I am learning more grammar here on your blog than I did at school :) seriously!
    You are welcome to check my a-z posts here: http://sundarivenkatraman.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sundari. Glad my posts are helping in learning more. Off to visit your post.

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments. Do scribble a few words.
Thank you.