Saturday 11 April 2015

J is for Just




The word ‘just’ has different meanings and is used differently in different situations. When it is used as an adjective, it brings a different meaning to the sentence and as an adverb it gives a different meaning.
 Just as an adjective means,
1.       Agreeing with what is considered morally right or good.
2.       Treating people in a way that is considered morally right.
3.       Reasonable or proper.
Synonyms: Fair, upright.
Example: He proved himself to be a just man.

Just as an adverb means
1.       To an exact degree or manner
2.       Very recently
3.       At this or that exact moment or time.
Synonyms: Exactly, precisely, barely, immediately
Example: The manager arrived just now.
                The song was just wonderful.
In creative writing, Just is a word that tend to make your sentence weaker. It is a word that can be cut out without losing the meaning of the sentence. In this way a writer can make his writing more concise and strong.
For Example:
1.       Instead of : I just thought I’d call you.
Use: I thought I’d call you.
2.       Instead of : I just wanted to ask you about the timing of the concert.
Use: I wanted to ask you about the timing of the concert.

3.       Instead of: If you would just allow me to finish this, I will be forever thankful.
Use: If you would allow me to finish this, I will be forever thankful.
It makes you sound desperate when applied to yourself (I just thought I’d call you) or demanding when applied to the another person (If you would just allow me to finish this, I will be forever thankful).

This post is a part of the APRIL A-Z Challenge   



2 comments:

  1. "Just" is my favourite word. ;-) I always end up deleting way over 100 during my 2nd round of editing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I’m stopping in from A to Z and thanks for your continued participation!

    Stephen Tremp
    an A-Z Cohost
    @StephenTremp on Twitter

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments. Do scribble a few words.
Thank you.