Capital letters are used for the following purposes:
1. We should use a capital letter as the first letter of a sentence or as the first letter of a dialogue in a story:
- She was tired. She sat down on the couch.
- He asked to confirm, “Are you coming with us?”
2. We should use capital letters while using abbreviations and acronyms:
- MA (Master of Arts)
- ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization)
3. We should use a capital letter in the name of the days of the week, months of the year, holidays:
- Sunday, Monday
- April, May
- Independence Day
4. We should use a capital letter for the personal pronoun 'I':
- What can I do to help you?
5. We should use a capital letter as first letter in the name of countries, languages & nationalities, religions:
- India, England
- English, Hindi
- Hinduism, Islam
6. We should use a capital letter as first letter in people's names and titles:
- Akbar, Rahul, Maya
- Captain Hook, Dr Ram
- Duke, Earl
7. We should use a capital letter as first letter in brand names and names of organizations:
- Intel, Gucci
- Linux, The United Nations Organization
8. We should use a capital letter as first letter in names of places and monuments:
- Kerala, Dubai
- The Pyramids, Rome
- The White House
- Church Street, Pakistan
- Earth, Sun
- Malaysia, Texas
9. We should use a capital letter in names of titles of books, poems, songs, plays, films etc:
- As You Like It
- Jane Eyre
- Pride And Prejudice
- The Raven
- The Pirates Of The Caribbean
10. We can use capital letters to imply that a particular word is being spoken louder than the rest.
- I said NOW!
11. As a shout out on online chat rooms.Using capital letters is considered as shouting and hence considered rude in many online chat rooms.
Have a nice day.
This post is a part of the APRIL A-Z Challenge